Street Leaf Collection Program FALL SEASON:
Residents are encouraged to bag their leaves for pick up with the normal Yard Waste Program. Bagged leaves (no plastic) are picked up with scheduled trash pick up. Bags are available at local retailers.
The Department of Public Works will pick up loose leaves under the following conditions:
- Leaves must be raked into a furrow along the edge of the road, please do not rake leaves into the road. Leaves that are raked into the road may prevent storm water from draining and create potential traffic hazards. Leaves should be in a furrow not wider than four feet to help make pick up more efficient.
- Wet the leaves to prevent blowing if needed.
- The leaves cannot be mixed with any other materials, i.e. trash, brush, rocks. If leaves are mixed with materials they will not be picked up. Damage to leaf pickup machines from hidden objects may result in costly repairs to equipment.
- Vehicles must not be parked along the curb or in the City right-of-way in areas where leaves are to be picked up. If vehicles are parked in the way, leaves will not be picked up for that area.
- Leaves in plastic bags will not be picked up.
- Do not rake leaves over storm sewer inlets to prevent flooding.
The DPW will pickup leaves throughout the entire City, street by street.
Please help us, by contacting the DPW, so we can determine where the leaves are the heaviest. For additional information, please contact the DPW at 546-7510.
Residents on Michigan Ave., Grand River Ave., and Byron Rd. only - please keep leaves behind the curb.
By Ordinance, open burning is not permitted in the City of Howell.
Brush Pick Up:
Residential brush pick up will begin April and end in October. Brush must be placed at the curb no earlier than Friday prior, and no later than 7 am on the date of pick up. Brush for residences north of Grand River will be picked up on the 1st Monday of each month and continuing the rest of the week until completed. South side of Grand River will be picked up on the 3rd Monday of each month and continuing the rest of the week until completed. Please call 517-546-7510 with any questions that you have. Due to the unavailability of a disposal site, stumps, roots, and shrubs are no longer taken. Small twigs must be containerized to be picked up with the brush. Brush cannot be more than four inches in diameter and should be neatly piled with butt ends to the street. For residents who contract for private tree removal, it is the responsibility of the contractor to dispose of all brush. Brush pick up dates are indicated on the City calendar.