History of the Howell Police Department
The Village of Howell was incorporated on March 14, 1863. A Town Marshall was appointed in 1870. In 1884 the position of Night Watchman was added. Records show that Roy C. Hardy while Chief of Police in 1921, used a bicycle to patrol.
The speed limit at that time was 8 miles per hour and with no radar or similar devices it was his word against yours. A motorcycle was eventually bought for Chief Hardy for $250.00.This was later traded for a Ford Roadster which cost $500.00. It was reported that the Chief rarely used the vehicle.
Today we are again using bicycles, foot patrols, and motorcycles. They are valuable devices in our community policing and traffic positions.