qiuck linksQuick Links

Sewer Back-Up

If you experience a sewer back-up, you should immediately contact the DPW at  517-546-7510 For problems occurring after regular office hours, contact 911.  Residents are encouraged to review their homeowners insurance policy and be aware of coverage levels for sewer back-ups.  Under Michigan law, repairs and property losses for most sewer back-ups are the responsibility of the homeowner.  If you experience a back-up and believe that the City is liable, you must file a claim with the City within 45 days from the date the damage was discovered.  To file a claim, contact the City at 517-546-3500.  City of Howell field personnel responding to your home when you report a back-up are not permitted to authorize repairs, clean-up or replacement of damaged items.